Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Monday Sprint Day.

I took a week off after I finished the DRC Half marathon on November 7th. Monday was my first day of running again after a seven day break.  It sure is nice to be running again and, starting off with a short, quick sprint is a great way to get back into running.

To shake my routine up a little bit I decided to run a set of Tabata Sprints.  Tabata sprints are a high intensity form of sprints.  You run as fast as you can for 20 seconds then rest for 20 seconds then run as fast as you can for seconds, etc.  Do each set (run, rest) 8 times and then you done in 4 minutes.

To make the timing easier, I did these on the treadmill. After a 1/2 mile warm-up  I set the treadmill up to 7.8 mph and hopped on and ran like a mad man for thirty seconds and then hopped off for ten. The treadmill was easy to time but I felt like there was not enough resistance.  Most of the work was focusing on keeping my legs turning over fast enough to keep pace with the treadmill belt.  Next time I do these on a treadmill I’ll set an incline.  Maybe that will add a little resistance.

I worked up a sweat and was not breathing to terribly hard after the 8 rounds.  I am a little sore today but not bad.  I think the next time I do these I am just going to go out on the road and run in a quick burst for ~20 seconds then jog slowly for ~10 seconds then repeat. 

These are  good break from my basic 400 intervals, and add a little bit of variety to my workouts..

No comments: